How to Live a Meaningful Life in 2022
Every year millions of us pull our collective hair out by making New Year’s Resolutions we don’t keep, as is evidenced by all the near-empty gyms in March. Rather than make goals, why not develop good habits to help you reach your dreams? Any one of the tips below can help you lead a more rewarding life.
1. Accept yourself for who you are, warts and all. Those little things you want to improve about your life tend to right themselves when you choose to love yourself. Self-hate keeps you stuck. Self-acceptance heals.
2. Distance yourself from drama queens, narcissists, and others who drain you. Your life energy is a precious commodity. Learn how to enhance and protect it.
3. Make a gratitude list every morning before you start your day and focus on what’s working. Acknowledge your victories and learn from your “failures.” See them as valuable lessons, not as punishment for having done something “wrong.” Tell people in your life why you’re thankful for them as often as you can.
4. Do something kind for others—friends, family, pets, strangers—on a regular basis. Smile at the cashier, give your children an extra hug, or volunteer at a homeless shelter. Research shows that helping others releases serotonin and dopamine, feel-good neurotransmitters in the brain, and is followed by a greater sense of well-being and self-worth.
5. Take one small step towards your true passion, then another, and another. You don’t have to jump off a cliff. Let the path unfold before you, and grab opportunities as they present themselves, even if they scare you; especially if they scare you. You can only develop your true talents and skills when you go into the unknown. Small steps can lead to big breakthroughs.
6. Choose to be authentic as often as possible. When you’re true to yourself, you draw like-minded people to you and repel energy vampires. You also excel at work using your natural abilities. Your passion keeps you going when others quit, and you effortlessly create a unique voice/brand that sets you apart from the rest.
7. Trust your intuition and act on it every chance you get. This is the source of creative ideas in art, science, business, and life. Einstein thought so; Steve Jobs, too.
8. Let go of the past—grudges and glory days. Focus on living in the moment. Appreciate the small things. Set goals that suit who you really are, and then let them go, too, in case the universe has better “plans” for your future.
9. Control your negative thoughts. Yes, you can do this, and the payoff is immense. Meditate, repeat a mantram, pray, take a walk, say positive affirmations, stand on your head; do whatever works for you. Research shows that when you interrupt negative thoughts, the neural circuits behind them weaken and eventually disappear. That means no more negative thoughts!
10. Empty your closets—and your heart—of whatever no longer serves you. Make room for the new. Trust that the vacuum you’ve created will be filled with wonderful people and promising opportunities that will make your heart sing.
Thank you for reading my blog! We’re living in a new paradigm now. You have something special to offer the world and we need it. These tips have helped thousands of my creativity workshop participants make positive changes in their lives—they should work for you, too.
I hope you shine true in 2022!